Serenity

Serenity
The Breachway

Thursday, January 3, 2013

Stink, stinking, stank, stunk

I had to have a "talk" with the 6th graders yesterday, and draw from my Health Teacher Hat......(Yes, this is still my first love of teaching...wish I could get hired as such!)  Many of the staff have have been complaining about a particular student's odor; the student ultimately being sent to the nurse. The student admitted he hadn't showered for 3 weeks.  I highly doubt that, as he appears to be grime free, but as a mother, I recognize that particular, on the brink of puberty, stench!  So. I pulled the, "we have a few items on the agenda." chat.....segueing from missing assignments, to cold weather cautions to facing the gossip wagon of," ewwww, so and so stinks!"  I broad brushed it to, there comes a time in everyones' life that we all stink,,,,our hair stinks, our breath stinks, the toe jam stinks, arm-pits and knee-pits stink........and there is a time when we ALL have stunk the worst....EVERYONE has.....when our bodies start changing from little kids to adolescents.....the dreaded puberty........then I switched to actual body maintenance....we brush our teeth to keep gums and teeth healthy, we exercise to keep heart and lungs healthy, we go to school to keep our brains healthy.....so let's not forget the biggest organ in our body, which is...............YOUR SKIN!  We talked about how it is so important to keep skin  whole and healthy to act as the protector of all the other body parts and how it is so important to wash it every day, especially during the big change!  We also talked about how important it is to keep it clean by covering it with clean clothes......

Today, the student who precipitated this talk, came in to school shiny and clean wearing fresh clean clothes; not a skink in the air!  Success........I hope it lasts!  Baby steps.......I love the Health Teacher Hat.

No comments: